One of the most asked questions since WhatsApp got launched is the ability for users to use the app on PC.
There could be many reasons why people want this, for me especially, its just to make sure i keep connected with friends and family while working. Picking up my phone just to reply one message is a bit too tasking and distracting. that why i always preferred Skype when am in the office.
But one good thing about whatsapp as a company is that she doesn’t turn deaf hears.
You can now connect with your WhatsApp contact directly on your Mac or windows PC using an official WhatsApp messenger without going through any tricks or downloading any app. All you need is just to have the latest version of Whatsapp app working on your mobile phone.
In this post today, I will be showing you how to use Whatsapp on PC and also how to easily download the list of all your WhatsApp contacts to your desktop.
How To Use Whatsapp on Computer (PC)
- Go over to web.whatsapp.com on your desktop.
- On the page, you will see a QR Code which you will need to scan.
- Once you are on the page, Now pick your mobile phone , then scan the QR code with the whatsapp QR Scanner, To do this follow the steps below:
Android = Open WhatsApp – menu – Whatsapp Web
Blackberry = Open WhatsApp – Chats – Whatsapp Web
Nokia S60 = Open WhatsApp – menu – Whatsapp Web
Window Phone = Open WhatsApp – menu – Whatsapp Web
Blackberry 10 = Open WhatsApp – Swipe down from top of screen – Whatsapp Web
Once you do that you will be automatically logged in and you will be able to instantly send or receive messages to any of your WhatsApp contacts from the computer.
The whatsapp desktop / browser app supports desktop notifications in Google Chrome which means you get notified once messages come into your chat. So you don’t need to keep staring at your chat for a reply. And also, you have the ability to send picture directly from your device.
But one bad thing is that, you mobile phone has to be connected to the internet while using the Whatsapp messenger for webs, so you can put off your phone and use whatsapp on your PC.
To zoom in or get a bigger version of your contact’s profile picture, You can just right-click on the profile picture of any WhatsApp contact, and then copy the link address, You will get so something like is
Here the green string represents the contact’s phone number, while the red string (t=s) is the size of the image, you can change the size by changing s to L. (S= Small, L= Large).
How To Save your WhatsApp Contact / Address Book Locally
This is a feature you will not see on your Whatsapp mobile app. But here you can easily export your WhatsApp Contacts to your desktop.
- Drag this WhatsApp bookmarklet above to the toolbar of your Google Chrome.
- Once you do that, then open web.whatsapp.com on your computer.
- Once the page opens and you are logged in. Now click on the bookmarklet in the toolbar.
- You can pick which ever export option your want, you can create a CSV list or create a print-ready addressbook of your WhatsApp contacts.
The WhatsApps app UI itself is written in React, a JS library from Facebook. If you are curious to know how the bookmarklet works, see the annotated version. Thanks to Amit Agarwal for the information.
Latest posts by Olayinka Bolaji (see all)
- 6 Steps to help improve the safety of children on the Internet - May 10, 2016
- What Is Next For Nigeria’s eCommerce Sector? - April 14, 2016
- Saving Sony: Is This The End Of Sony? - April 4, 2016