At some point in time, when a blog is beginning to grow, or whenever the blog owner decided to change the domain of a blog, there are tendencies that users / visitors of the Blog will start getting “404 page not found” error message which means that there are lots of broken Links on the blog.
If you do not know what i mean by Broken Links, Well broken links are links that do not exist. And this kind of error really hurt a website as It makes visitors have a very bad experience using the website and also its s extremely bad for SEO (search Engine Optimization) . if you have unending session of ”404 page not found” error message, You visitor will never come back to your website.
So if you are a WordPress user, and you are faced with this error every now and then, Then here is a solution for you to Fixing Broken Links issues on your website.
On this site , i make use of a wonderful plugin called Broken Link Checker . This plugin works in a great way that i helps to remove all broken links from your site, be it old posts, which are internal, as well as external ink that your commenters might have placed on your site.
Features of Broken Link Checker Plugin
- Monitors links in your posts, pages, comments, the blogroll, and custom fields (optional).
- Detects links that don’t work, missing images and redirects.
- Notifies you either via the Dashboard or by email.
- Makes broken links display differently in posts (optional).
- Prevents search engines from following broken links (optional).
- You can search and filter links by URL, anchor text and so on.
- Links can be edited directly from the plugin’s page, without manually updating each post.
- Highly configurable.
So how do you now fix broken links on WordPress? Here is how to:
- First thing first, go over to your WordPress Dashboard.
- Then Navigate to Plugins>>Add New . Like it is below:
- After you click the Add New tab, then you will be taken to the “Install Plugin page”, now in the search box on the page, insert “Broken Link Checker”thenn click on the “Search Plugins” button. just like it is below
- Then on the result page, you will see the “Broken Link Checker” Plugin mostly on the first. Then Click on “Install Now” button to install the Broken link checker Plugin. check below for example
- After You install the plugin, then click on activate plugin
- After activation, now go to the plugins page and scroll over to broken link checker and then click on “Settings” below it to check all the broken links that are on your website/ WordPress Blog.
- Once you click that, the broken link setting page will show you how many broken link you have like it is in the picture on the left image, but because i don’t have any broken links the picture on the right is what its show to me
- So if you end up having broken link s on your website, you an easily fix the link via the broken link options too. All you have to do is go over to Tools>>Broken Link. On that page it will show all the links that are broken, and give you the ability to Edit URL, Unlink n order to correct and tell the plugin what is happening.
- So once you correct all your broken links, you can decided weather to keep the plugin active on your website or not.
Like My Articles, Subscribe For More!